Thursday, September 22, 2011

New Place, New Life

It's been a month since starting the new job and 1.5 months since moving to the island.

It does not cease to amaze me that 5-minute walk takes us to the ocean side -- there are trails along the cliff over the ocean front, rocky edge of the cliff, and small patches mixed or rocky and sandy beach. Really enjoy the most amazing view of tides and sunset that is never the same every day. The colonial style buildings are so intricately ornate.

20 years ago I was visiting the island for half a day and decided that this is where, and now this is indeed where my family would like to settle. Love the alpine trees against the sky.

Watching the tides ebb and flow reminded me of the opening poem to the classic The Tales of the Three Nations:


三國演義卷頭詞(開卷詩)
滾滾長江東逝水,浪花淘盡英雄。是非成敗轉頭空,青山依舊在,幾度夕陽紅?
白髮漁樵江渚上,慣看秋月春風。一壺濁酒喜相逢,古今多少事,都付笑談中。


"All the right, wrong, success, and failure all disappear upon the turning of head."

Watching the tides ebb and flow, the sun rises and sets, it just keeps reminding me to open up and broaden my mind, since nothing lasts forever and we can only do our best on a daily basis.

Fortunately at work both people I trust to take advice from keep reminding me not to overextend myself or take away time from family.

As settling into the position, I'm learning about new challenges, while feeling a different level of command and sense of responsibility for the larger communities.

The new chapter begins.




No comments:

Post a Comment